Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm Starting to Relate to Farmers


My house has three trees in the backyard. One is a fig tree, which has been deeply appreciated by many friends. One is an olive tree, which produced nothing the first year I was here, but gave me some very nice olives the second, although salting is a lot of work.

I had no idea what the third one was, and since it looked like it might die the first year didn't pay it much attention, other than putting on a bit of graywater in the hope it wouldn't. Now after, producing nothing at all for two years it has come out in a whole lot of very small plums.

They're not really good to eat, but I thought they might be good soup-making material, having made some wonderful soups from plums you wouldn't eat straight at a former house. A week ago only a few were ripe, but there were scores (literally) that were only a few days off. Then came the rains. Leaving aside the ones that are still a few weeks off, so many of those scores have split that this is what I was able to harvest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I think we have the same tree. Except ours are still green. Birds love 'em.

A completely frivolous comment; I do enjoy reading your politics posts. The one on ISP legislation as a game of chicken was spot on.

Feral Sparrowhawk said...

Thanks froginthepond. It's exciting to see anyone here, but its particularly nice when it is someone I don't know who blogs on such a different area from me.

PS Did you know that some frogs are capable of being frozen solid for periods of several months and fully recovering? Just thought I'd show off my newly acquired herpetological trivia.