Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sigh

When I started this blog I never expected it to top the readership charts, or draw so many page views I could run advertising that would make me rich. But I rather hoped someone would read it. Thus my excitement when anyone comments.

After a failed attempt to put a tracker on some time ago I made another effort two weeks ago. This time it seems to have worked, and I've been emailed two weekly records of all the visits to the site in that time.

And the figure is....drumroll....none.

Yes, no one at all has visited this site in that time according to the tracking device. No pageviews at all. Either it is filtering out my own visits, or its not working.

It really doesn't do a lot for my efforts to convince myself I can get a book published.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I just gave you a plug on Twitter so the readers should start flooding in any time now ;)

I remember when you could just start a blog and people would eventually find you. There's so much out there now that I don't think that really happens any more.

If you can stoop to self-publicity, I suggest a couple of options: come out of the closet and then "leverage" your existing internet "brand" (I mean, come on, you have a fan club!), or if you want to stay anonymous, register on Twitter and use that to connect to people who are interested in your kind of stuff.

In any case, I'm reading (although via RSS so I won't show up in your site stats), so if I may be so selfish, please keep posting if only for me!

Feral Sparrowhawk said...

Thanks for the advice Angus, and for your readering loyalty. If you've visited in that time (and I think the comment from Mindy a few posts back may also have been in the period) it suggests to me that something is wrong with the tracker.

Maybe I actually have thousands of readers :)

As to revealing my identity - nothing I've posted so far would be an issue under my name (although I might polish a few pieces a little). However, I've been working on a couple of posts which I definitely wouldn't want tied to my name. In fact I've wondered if I don't need a truly secret blog identity, not one a dozen people know and many more could guess.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.